Hokkaido is like a vast flower garden, blooming with a myriad of flowers like cherry blossoms, lavender and sunflowers from May to October. The patchwork-like scenery of flower fields spreads out as far as the eye can see, creating scenery woven of splendid nature and contrast with the sky. This overwhelming sight is a true highlight.
Picturesque summer view of Hokkaido
In summer, the area is filled with the dainty purple flowers and delicate fragrance of lavender. The vast fields throughout Furano and its surrounding towns begin to bloom in late June, reaching their best in mid to late July. One of the best summer sights in Hokkaido!
Season: mid July to Late.
- Kisen Kita 15-go, Nakafurano-cho, Sorachi-gun, Hokkaido
- 15 minutes drive from JR Furano Station
Historic town with varieties of cherry blossoms
Matsumae is home to 10,000 cherry trees of 250 varieties. Late April is the start of a month-long cherry blossom paradise as the different species bloom in succession in the Matsumae Park.
Season: mid April to Late May.
- Matsushiro, Matsumae-cho, Matsumae-gun, Hokkaido
- 3 hours by Matsumae-go of Hakodate Bus from JR Hakodate Station. Get off at Matsushiro bus stop and walk 8 minutes.
Spectacular pink flower carpet as far as the eyes can see
Moss pink is a ground-hugging plant with small flowers similar to cherry blossoms. When the flowers are at their peak, the vast flower fields look as if they have been carpeted pink. The eastern Hokkaido towns of Ozora and Takinoue arewell known for their moss pink, the best to view the flower
Season: mid May to early June.
Higashi Mokoto Moss Phlox Park
- 393 Higashimokotosuehiro, Ozora-cho, Abashiri-gun, Hokkaido
- 45 minutes by Abashiri Kanko Kotsu Bus from JR Abashiri Station. Get off at Higashimokoto bus stop and another 5 minutes drive to the park.
Takinoue Moss Phlox Park
- Motomachi, Takinoue-cho, Monbetsu-gun, Hokkaido
- 3 hours and 50 minutes by Chuo Bus from Sapporo Station Bus Terminal, or 2 hours and 20 minutes from Asahikawa Bus Terminal. Get off at Takinoue and walk 10 minutes.
Let's walk into yellow field of canola flowers
Takigawa City is the nation's best plantation area for Canola flowers. The yellow of the Canola flowers spreads brilliantly across the many fields in the Takikawa city, a beautiful sight that attracts many foreign and domestic tourists.
Season: Late May to early June.
Canola flowers (Ebeotsu area)
- Ebeotsu area, Takikawa, Hokkaido
- 50 minutes by JR Limited Express from Sapporo to Takikawa, then 20 minutes drive to the flower fields.
Refresh your soul in Hokkaido's 8 best flower gardens
Eight delightful gardens that represent the beauty of Hokkaido are interspersed along the Hokkaido Garden Path. The 250-kilometer long route runs from north to south, connecting Asahikawa, Furano and towns in the Tokachi region. The distinctive climates and landscapes of Hokkaido are highlighted in each garden, while the route will let you take in stunning natural scenery, savor rich and varied local foods, and experience a wide range of activities.
Season: Late May to August.
Beautiful countryside with bright sunflower fields
From late July to mid-August, you can see over 6 million charming sunflowers under the vast summer sky. Take in this fairy tale scenery that has even appeared in films.
Season: Late July to Late August.
Chiebun Shinonome Sunflower Field
- Chiebun, Nayoro, Hokkaido
- 90 minutes by JR Rapid Train Nayoro from Asahikawa to Naoyoro, and 25 minutes drive to the field.